OHCHR Human Rights Officer Jobs 2023 – Ethiopia NGO Jobs. OHCHR Ethiopia looking for “Human Rights Officer“. Applicants with a degree in Advanced University Degree may apply on or before 6th Feb 2023.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, commonly known as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) or the United Nations Human Rights Office, is a department of the Secretariat of the United Nations that works to promote and protect human rights that are guaranteed under international law and stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948. The office was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 20 December 1993 in the wake of the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights.
OHCHR Human Rights Officer Jobs 2023
The OHCHR has published a job vacancy announcement on 1st Feb 2023 for qualified Ethiopians to fill in the vacant post of Human Rights Officer to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
OHCHR Job Vacancy 2023
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Plans and coordinates activities related to thematic and country mandates on human rights, including monitoring, reporting and advocacy and from a gender perspective.
- Ensures human rights issues, including their gender equality considerations, are integrated into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programme.
- Conducts substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in the assigned region or country.
- Reviews, monitors and evaluates activities relating to the implementation of international human rights instruments, including recommendations of treaty bodies and mechanisms of the Human Rights Council (HRC).
- Supports the work of treaty-established bodies and extra-conventional mechanisms and special procedures, including on the implementation of recommendations.
- Prepares relevant human rights parts of reports for the General Assembly, HRC, etc. notes on the status of ratification of human rights instruments, etc.
- Meets regularly with UN staff, national officials as well as Military and Police officers to plan projects and review project activities related to human rights.
- Works with UN and non-governmental programmes in the country/region to integrate human rights, including their gender dimensions in their programs; helps design and implements the human rights program and designs the organization and focus of the evaluation.
- Ensures up-to-date information regarding substantive matters in the field of human rights and makes recommendations on actions to take.
- Makes contact with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations, in particular the African Union and governments on coordination and policy matters; brief representatives and provides, as appropriate suggestions and recommendations.
- Assists country’s institutions to develop and implement a training programs in the field of human rights, international humanitarian law, democracy and the rule of law, with attention to gender perspectives.
- Serves as team leader with responsibility for carrying out, in consultation with the Regional Representative, work coordination and administrative functions relating to the staff, planning and budget.
- Trains and supervises new/junior staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Position in Organization:
- Posting Title: HUMAN RIGHTS OFFICER (TJO), P4 (Temporary Job Opening)
- Job Code Title: HUMAN RIGHTS OFFICER
- Department/Office: Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
- Posting Period: 31 January 2023 – 06 February 2023
- Job Opening Number: 23-Human Rights Affairs-OHCHR-200071-J-Addis Ababa (X)
- Staffing Exercise: N/A
Qualification & Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area is required.
- Experience in or on the African region is desirable.
- Experience in capacity building and implementing technical cooperation projects is desirable.
- Experience with regional bodies, such as the African Union is desirable.
How to Apply OHCHR Human Rights Officer Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=200071
The Closing Date: 6th Feb 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.